Can Norway’s Black Metal Pioneers Escape their Extreme Roots?
Can
Norway’s Black Metal Pioneers Escape their Extreme Roots?
By: Sean Frasier
Taken From: Decibel Magazine
Over a quarter
century has passed since Mayhem’s “Freezing Moon” stunned its Leipzig audience.
Dubbed black metal’s second wave, Norway’s explosion of extreme music wasn’t an
intentional, synchronized movement. It was a snapshot of wanton rebellion,
encouraging experimentation and fueled by youth. But for several black metal
luminaries, expectations based on their teenage creations continue to shadow
them, even decades after evolving past the genre.
AS THE SHADOWS
RISE
“I think I’ll forever
be my own little brother,” admits Vegard Tveitan—better known to the metal
community as Ihsahn, prolific solo artist and vocalist/guitarist of Emperor.
“But now that we’ve done these occasional Emperor shows and I’m releasing my
sixth solo album, I’ve been doing solo stuff for as long as I did Emperor. So,
now I’m much more comfortable with my career as a whole. [The past] is more
like a blur now, if anything.”
Arktis—mentioned
above as Ihsahn’s sixth solo effort—reinforces his stylistic departure from
Emperor’s legacy. Honoring the metal of his formative years with rousing hooks
and classic metal choruses, he still detours at will into shadowy jazz
[“Crooked Red Line”], dance beats [“Frail”], and prog rock [“Disassembled”].
Those seeking the raw fury of Emperor’s seminal works may count the seconds
before Arktis’ first blastbeat launches 33 minutes into the album. But
Ihsahn—17 years old while recording In the Nightside Eclipse—doesn’t resent his
earliest albums, and understands why Emperor’s initial offerings resonate to
this day.
“I’m proud of them
for what they are,” Ihsahn shares. “We were so young when we recorded them, and
of course didn’t have experience and weren’t especially good musicians or
anything. But we had that teenage drive and conviction and willpower. We had a
very clear idea of what we wanted to create, and I think that youthful courage
shines through. Those albums continue to sell—even to people who probably
weren’t born back then.”
Ihsahn’s quick to
mention that Emperor originally struggled to garner positive coverage from
metal media. Any notion that they were immediate critical darlings is as much a
myth as Freyja’s cat-drawn chariot. “I think Emperor as an entity is far bigger
now than it actually was when we were ever active,” Ihsahn suggests. “It’s just
grown with myth and nostalgia and all that.”
WOLVES EVOLVE
“I’m sort of hung
up on time; warped time and space,” shares Kristoffer Rygg, vocalist and
founder of oft-mutating experimental collective Ulver. “We’re always looking to
the future or the past for answers or inspiration. But the sort of hang-up on
ancient history is not so strong, I would say.”
Under the
pseudonym Garm, Rygg was Ulver’s primordial scream tearing through the wilderness
painted on their debut, Bergtatt. Now releasing Ulver’s 13th LP—an entrancing
80-minute venture into deconstructed rock and psychedelic ambience titled
ATGCLVLSSCAP—Rygg’s nearly 20 years removed from the “ancient history” of their
black metal trilogy.
“It’s strange,
because they’re so canonized. And I appreciate that and I feel very proud about
that. But, it’s probably the music I’ve made that for me personally is the
hardest to connect to nowadays,” Rygg admits. “That said, it still blows me
away putting Nattens Madrigal on, thinking, ‘Fuck, this is gnarly. Did I make
this?’ It’s got that feral drive to it that’s sort of amazing to listen to,
even now.”
After the trilogy,
the experimental concept album Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of
Heaven and Hell formally buried their black metal pursuits. In case any doubts
lingered, their next EP—aptly titled Metamorphosis—went full-on techno. But
Ulver had already established they wouldn’t bow to expectations; the original
trilogy’s middle album, Kveldssanger, is a forest-dwelling Norse-folk album
with nary a scream or distorted guitar. Asked if there was ever trepidation to
move past their black metal roots, Rygg’s answer is immediate.
“No,” he quickly
laughs. “I don’t think we felt we had that much to lose. These were still early
days. I might admit to actually being more conscious about those things now
with Ulver, saying we can’t do this or can’t do that. But back then I didn’t
give a flying fuck.
“Black metal was
becoming a prison of sorts,” Rygg continues. “It sounds childish when I say it
out loud, but it’s true. We still felt connected to black metal as an idea;
more as an idea actually than a musical infatuation, by 1997. [Black metal] was
getting quite big and getting noticed around the world and stuff, but by that
time it had lost a lot of its initial draw for me. So, to us it felt like the
most black metal thing you could do was say, ‘OK, let’s go make a fucking
techno album.’”
HOW TRVE THEY WERE
“I really feel bad
about stigmatizing whole generations, but those who came from all over the
world to meet us in ’94 to ’96 at Elm Street Rock Pub seemed very intense and
often quite one-track minded,” writes Gylve Nagell, AKA Fenriz, heavy metal
tastemaker and one-half of Darkthrone.
While Darkthrone
remains Fenriz’s most recognizable musical contribution, he’s explored doom
with Valhall, released ambient music under the name Neptune Towers, and has encouraged
eclectic listening habits for three decades. When an interviewer confronted him
regarding his techno appreciation in the documentary Until the Light Takes Us,
he famously retorted on behalf of Oslo metal musicians, “We’re not fucking
living in a trailer camp just listening to Anthrax.” But that assumption
followed the fans who descended upon his boozing post. “It was abnormal to me
when the blackpackers first showed up at my Oslo pub Elm Street to try to tell
me only black metal was real. What a joke,” Fenriz fires.
“But oh how trve
they were,” he continues. “Many times we had code words to go to another bar to
get rid of the worst fan boys. When I write it down it seems like we were
douchebags, but really we didn’t ask for this attention. We were discussing
life or death and bands like Coil or even Guns N’ Roses when a barrage of
people from around the globe came asking about [albums and recordings] we had
finished doing, and certainly had little to do with what we were going to
record.”
Fenriz ponders
what history would have been like without expectations intruding on the musical
freedom he felt Mayhem co-founder Øystein Aarseth (AKA Euronymous) promoted.
“When it all fell apart in late ’92 after Under a Funeral Moon was recorded
locally, it was tempting to just use a Neptune Towers recording as Darkthrone’s
new album,” Fenriz admits. “Would have fucked with people for sure.”
FROST AND FIRE
“We never saw
ourselves as black metal,” confesses Ivar Bjørnson, guitarist/composer of
Enslaved. “At the time, back in ’91 and ’92, black metal was describing the
concept of the album. So, Marduk could be black metal, but also Danzig, I
guess, because of Lucifer and Satan. That was the defining element. It wasn’t
until ’95 that people started naming bands ‘black metal’ after how they
sounded, and how they looked. Which was absurd to us, musicians saying, ‘We’re
a black metal band because we wear corpsepaint.’”
Bjørnson speaks
with Decibel two nights before Enslaved celebrate their 25th anniversary in
Bergen, Norway. Less than a week later, they’ll play three different sets in
three consecutive nights in London, each evening dedicated to a different
chapter of the band’s history. Over the last quarter-century they’ve eagerly
expanded their sound, inviting progressive influences while stockpiling
Norwegian Grammys. After co-forming the band when he was only 13, Bjørnson
never felt external pressure to keep Enslaved’s sound tethered to the primal
charge of Frost and Eld—their “Frost and Fire” era, according to the
anniversary event’s poster.
“Blodhemn was our
last so-called black metal token, and we just felt that avenue was fully
explored,” Bjørnson explains. “We wanted to explore more melodic, proggy,
psychedelic aspects as a band. So, it was more like after the fact we realized
that people were going to react to this, and see it as our final farewell to
that pure Norwegian sound. Sure, we’d hear people hoping they’d get a Frost:
Part II or whatever, but we were pleasantly surprised with how people reacted.”
Bjørnson’s music
outside of Enslaved ventures even further from black metal. With Skuggsjá he
creates complex, historical post-metal with symphonic grandeur. In April he’ll
be in Brooklyn for the North American premier of BardSpec, his ambient project.
But if his adventurous approach to songwriting raises eyebrows anywhere, it
might be within his own band.
“To be totally
honest, since I do write the songs in [Enslaved], I’ve felt people in the band
might have wished for things to be simpler sometimes,” Bjørnson admits. “Or
maybe they wonder if the band could be more successful if we skipped the
experiments and weirdness. Maybe it’s egotistical, but I’ve always said that
the songs just need to be how the songs are.”
ARKTIK EXPEDITIONS
It’s sunny outside
Ihsahn’s home as he speaks with Decibel, but snow is headed toward Notodden.
During the days that follow, the snowfall turns out to simply be a dusting;
nothing like the moonlit ice kingdom adorning Emperor’s In the Nightside
Eclipse, and worlds away from the unforgiving terrain traversed by Norwegian
explorer Fridtjof Nansen.
At the close of
the 19th century, Nansen began a dangerous trek to the North Pole. Braving the
elements—blizzards, lethal temperatures and belligerent walruses—he survived
off limited supplies and the meat from his own sled dogs as the expedition
waned. While Nansen didn’t achieve his lofty goal, his determination and
bravery inspired Arktis and the album’s art design.
“[Being a
musician] is far less dangerous, at least physically,” Ihsahn laughs, comparing
Nansen’s travels to his own journey. “Nobody had reached the North Pole at that
time, and he didn’t end up reaching it himself, but he spent three or four
years trying. The Arctic in itself is absolutely beautiful, but at the same
time it’s such a hostile, cold, harsh environment. But [Nansen] still pursued
his goal with courage, enthusiasm, and excitement. I hope to remind myself not
to settle for comfort, and always move forward.”
Ihsahn tracks his
artistic progress all in the same ordinary, hardback sketchbook he’s kept since
his first solo album, 2006’s The Adversary. Within those pages he has notes for
every single song written under his own moniker, clearly illustrating his
departure from black metal to Arktis’ playful, hard-edged pop sensibilities.
Whether it’s his own eclectic solo work or shifting Thou Shalt Suffer from
death metal to neoclassical arrangements, Ihsahn is controlled by nothing but
his own instincts and whims.
“I’m asked when I
do experimental records, ‘Aren’t you afraid you’re going to disappoint fans or
lose fans?’ But I think I’m here doing this in the first place because I never
really made music to please any fans,” Ihsahn argues. “A black metal band in
1991 was trying to displease everybody. It has never been a quest to be
popular; it’s always been about being completely uncompromising.”
Outside his own
music, Ihsahn also tutors music students two evenings a week. He doesn’t
consider it his place to lecture students about his own artistic philosophies,
only to encourage their own musical passions. “So many of my students are there
because their parents arranged it, and they’ll say, ‘Sorry I didn’t do my
homework this week, I had so much to do with football or whatever.’ And I just
tell them I don’t care,” Ihsahn shares. “There are so many things in life you
have to do, but playing guitar isn’t one of them. Making music is something you
do because you love it.”



Comments
Post a Comment